Whole house humidifiers are a great way to improve home comfort, but they can sometimes cause too much humidity in the home and lead to mold growth. Mold is a serious health hazard, and it's important to understand how a whole-house humidifier can cause it, the signs to look out for, and how to control it. The industry is working hard to dispel the misconception that humidifiers cause mold and promote their many benefits. Humidifiers can cause mold if they are left unregulated.
If the indoor humidity level rises too high, fungi can thrive in the humid conditions. To prevent this, it's important to monitor the humidifier and make sure it is functioning properly. The evaporator pad should be changed every season, and the indoor air controller or oven should be kept clean of dust. Most manufacturers recommend an indoor relative humidity level of 35-50%.
To ensure this level is maintained, there are now more humidifiers with improved control technology available. Honeywell and other members of the Humidifier Section are working to educate builders about humidification and mold prevention. It's important to remember that the benefits of having a whole-house humidifier installed far outweigh the possibility of mold growth. Contractors should not be hesitant to offer them as an option for their clients.
With proper monitoring and maintenance, there is no need to fear mold growth from a whole-house humidifier.